Quantum’s DYNA-FOIL™ fully retractable dual purpose fin stabilizer systems are the most technologically advanced in the world. This revolutionary stabilizer system features a unique foil design that represents a revolutionary approach to fin stabilizer operating principles. The DYNA-FOIL™retractable fin creates a dynamic self-induced lift for outstanding ZeroSpeed™ operation and a highly efficient lift to drag coefficient for superior underway operations.
The DYNA-FOIL™ active fin stabilizer systems underwent extensive third-party model testing by the MARIN (Marine Research Institute Netherlands) to assess the new stabilizer system’s performance at anchor or zero speed and underway relative to a traditional fixed fin stabilizer. Typically, fixed fin stabilizers are limited in size by the ship’s “beam-keel” envelope (hull envelope) creating a challenge for super yachts and large military vessels requiring very large fins for optimal stabilization. DYNA-FOIL™ stabilizers retract completely into a full pocket or to a parallel position to the hull (non-pocketed model) when not in use eliminating that restriction so larger vessels can enjoy a same smooth ride at zero speed and underway.
Key advantages of the DYNA-FOIL™ stabilizer system relative to a traditional fixed fin system are:
- Larger lever arm than fixed fin stabilizer creating larger foil area
- More efficient down angle than possible with fixed fin stabilizer
- Higher lift coefficient of the foil compared to that of a low aspect fixed fin stabilizer. The stabilizer moment generated by the Dyna-Foil™ is up to 150% greater than a standard fixed fin of the same size at anchor or Zero Speed™
- Flexibility of Installation: The Dyna-Foil™ is available in both a fully pocketed version as well as a non-pocketed version to accommodate multiple types of hull forms
How the DYNA-FOIL™ retractable stabilizer system works:
- At Anchor or Zero Speed™: Traditional fixed fin system use a “paddling” action, Quantum’s DYNA-FOIL™ uses the hydrodynamic lift generated by water flow over the foil from a swing action of the unit. This action creates water flow over the surface of the foil thus generating lift. The direction of swing determines the direction of lift force generated. Both the angle of attack and the swing speed are controlled variables that are adjusted to provide the optimal ship stability.
- Underway Stabilization: The foil is deployed at 90 degrees to the hull centerline, lift is generated by articulating the foil. The DYNA-FOIL™ profile allows high lift force to be generated at low angles of attack with minimal resistance; maximum lift with minimal drag. This coupled with the mechanical properties of the stabilizer actuation mechanism (dynamic foil positioning), provide for an almost instantaneous positioning of the foil thus improving lift force timing which in itself is critical to maximizing roll reduction for minimal effort.
CHPU (Compact Hydraulic Power Unit) – The DYNA-FOIL™ uses a newly designed and engineered dedicated CHPU (Compact Hydraulic Power Unit) system to power the stabilizer system bringing together time-tested hardware with a new approach to hydraulic power management and power shaving. Through the stored energy accumulators and variable motor control, the CHPU can provide power to the DYNA-FOIL™ with extremely low power cycling on the ship’s net. By using an in tank submerged pump, airborne noise is reduced without the use of sound shields. Structural-born noise is handled with both mechanical absorption and hydraulic suppression hardware.
The Dyna-Foil™ new dual-purpose fully retractable ship stabilizer system provides exceptional roll reduction for vessels both at ZeroSpeed™ and underway. Coupled with Quantum’s unrivaled SMC4000 series hydraulic control system and a dedicated CHPU compact HPU, Quantum DYNA-FOIL™ provides the most technologically active fin stabilizer system in the world.